INTERVIEW : 2011-03-24 Upclose with Joseph Arthur (by Penny Zhou)


American folk rocker Joseph Arthur paints and writes poetry, but he’s most famous for singing soulful words about faith and life with simple but delicate melodies. Ahead of his Hong Kong gigs and art exhibition, the humble and friendly musician has a chat with Penny Zhou about Lou Reed, poetry and changes.


HK Magazine: You were discovered by Peter Gabriel in the mid-90s. How did that happen?
Joseph Arthur: Back then it was [all on]cassette. So I made my demo cassette, which I gave to a friend who gave it to a friend who gave it to someone who gave it to Peter Gabriel. Then he called me up and I got a record deal.

HK: Growing up in Akron, Ohio, were you raised by an artistic family?
JA: Not particularly. Neither of my parents are artists. But my sister is a painter, and my aunt paints, too.

HK: And you’re nominated for a Grammy for Best Recording Package Design for your 1999 EP, “Vacancy.”
JA: It’s a huge surprise for me that I got nominated. It was a little-known, limited-edition album, and the album cover was designed by an unknown artist. I have no idea how those Grammy people heard about us.

HK: Have you finished the new album?
JA: It’s just done. It’s called “The Graduation Ceremony,” and it is a very acoustic-based record. It’s about transformation, breaking up and survival.

HK: And how have you transformed through the years?
JA: I’ve grown. You’re a different person from what you used to be. Me, you, everybody—you can’t help it but things change, even though you don’t know how. I feel sane now… But, well, that may be the most insane thing one can say about himself.

HK: People always say your lyrics are “poetic.” Where does the poetry come from?
JA: It’s like a mysterious flow from the back of my head. It crawls out like a roach. I’m glad that people notice my lyrics.

HK: Would you consider publishing your poetry?
JA: Yeah, I’m actually in the middle of finishing a book of my poems.

HK: Are you an avid reader?
JA: Umm, you know, I should read more than I do. I have a very short attention span and I often get bored quickly. And the damn internet makes it worse. I still try to read, but it’s just getting harder and harder. Do you read? Do you think it’s getting harder?

HK: Hmm, yes to both questions.
JA: You’re probably smarter than I am. I never went to college…

HK: That’s not true. Between us, you’re the one who’s being interviewed right now as a famous musician. Was being an artist your childhood dream?
JA: Yeah. Somehow I knew from a very young that music and art were what I wanted to do. I never thought about having a normal lifestyle and I felt like I needed to go through special situations in order to survive. It’s pretty much based on survival. And there’s no way I can survive a typical schedule. My whole life turns out to revolve around traveling, and I love it because traveling helps you reinvent yourself and grow as a person.

HK: Biggest musical influences?
JA: I really like Lou Reed. The Velvet Underground is probably my favorite. Oh, and early hip-hop.

HK: Speaking of Lou Reed, he went to your gig before you even got signed.
JA: Yeah, it’s like a hundred million years ago... But it’s my first time coming to Hong Kong, so it may be worth a mention because I guess people don’t know anything about me here. I mean, why would they?

HK: So why Hong Kong?
JA: Most things in my life, they just kind of come up. I have a tendency to say yes to things. “Do you want to play in Hong Kong?” “Yes.” My friends are so jealous that I get to come here.





Popular Posts