INTERVIEW : 2004-11-23 Interview (by Andrew Brun)



I was able to catch up with Joseph Arthur before his show at the 20th Century Theatre in Cincinnati on the 23rd of November.

Musicleak: So it must be nice being back in Ohio, do you get to go home for the holiday?

Joseph Arthur: Yeah, I’ve been home for the last couple of nights, and I get to sleep in my old bed so that’s nice.


ML: How’s the tour been?

JA: It’s been great, but it’s been really busy. I was just trying to think if I’ve ever been this busy on a tour, as far as promoting a record goes. It reminds me of my tour for “Come to Where I’m From” which was extremely busy. But I guess it’s good.

ML: Is this more of a promotional tour for “Our Shadows will Remain” or are you still doing work with “Honey and Moon”?

JA: Mainly this is for “Our Shadow’s will Remain.” (Honey and Moon) has gotten some acclaim from the OC which I think is a good thing. Anything that gets my music out there is good from where it’s at at this point. Once the music gets the attention you can get picky and choose the avenues it gets for attention, but until that happens you have to take those opportunities as they come.

ML: Are you doing this Album Independently?

JA: No, this is with Vector Records, but I have always had total creative control, even through the span of my career.

ML: So there wasn’t total fallout with Real World Records?

JA: No, not based on anything creative.

ML: Do you regret that period of time at all?

JA: No, absolutely not. I learned a lot and I think that was really fortunate. Creatively I think completely fortunate for that situation, and I think it toughened me up in a lot of ways too. But no I don’t have any regrets at all.

ML: Do you still hear all the comments about Peter Gabriel?

JA: People still bring it up once in a while, and I don’t really care. To me it’s not a negative, it’s a part of my life and an interesting story. By now it’s about ten years old, so I guess it’s old, but it doesn’t really come up that often.

ML: Do you still read your own critiques?

JA: Only when people hand them to me and that usually means there good. I don’t seek them out in magazines or anything.

ML: What were your Musical Influences in your life?

JA: Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix, and I guess earlier than that was KISS, and Ozzy Osbourne.

ML: So how did you get to where you are now?

JA: Well, I’ve always been open to different kinds of music; I got into Bob Dylan and I absorbed a lot of that. Nirvana, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen. I think my music has a wide range of influences.

ML: I noticed that “Our Shadows…” is a little darker, a little less folk. How would you describe the evolution in your albums?

JA: I think each one is different from the other one which is a good thing. I think I have always reacted against the last one (album) to some degree. It hasn’t been to consciously, I like to stay unconscious as possible, but if I an unconscious about what I am doing or self-conscious it is an attempt to react against the last one to make sure I don’t repeat myself.

ML: So do you enjoy being in the studio or being on the road?

JA: it’s a balance because I love being on the road. When you’re in the studio you’re like wow I should just be making records all the time. I love it. When you’re on the road playing night after night you’re like wow I love doing this too. I like both. I don’t know which one I like more their just different types.

ML: So what are the differences between the US and Europe crowds?

JA: I don’t think there’s a difference. People are people really. And it varies from state to state in America. I mean in the US you have those really vibe places and then you have places that aren’t, and you have those places in Europe too. Its exactly the same for me.

ML: When was the first time you heard your music on an outside source?

JA: I would imagine college radio or something, but it hasn’t really been that many times. It’s not like when I know a song is going to be on a TV show I tune into the show. And I don’t go to see movies generally. I like to be as un self conscious as possible about it. So I don’t go see them on purpose.

ML: So going against your other albums is just artistic for you?

JA: You know if I do read some press, it just messes with me a little. I like to pretend I’m in a vacuum in a way. I feel freer that way. Once I produce a record I don’t go play it like crazy to analyze it. I analyze it like crazy when I make it.

ML: Is that why you do the one man show?

JA: I don’t know, it just kind of worked out that way. A lot of it is that its really expensive to tour. Even as I’m touring now maybe it’ll cost a little maybe, well break even or maybe well make a little. It’s really right on the line. It’s also something that has just evolved, and I like it.

ML: How intricate is looping to your show?

JA: It’s pretty intricate but I can go out and perform without using it sometimes. It is a great dynamic to have. I can improvise in a different way. It’s just great to have.

ML: With touring and all do you still have time to do your artwork on the side?

JA: Well, artwork can be either really big or really small; on the road I bring a little watercolor set, and just do little paintings in the notebooks.

ML: Is there a separation between your music and artwork?

JA: I think artwork requires more of a dark energy and music requires more of a light energy.

ML: Did you do all the artwork in your book?

JA: Uh huh.

ML: Was it all in your free time?

JA: Yea I draw and Paint all the time.

ML: When you first got signed to Real World Records what did you do?

JA: I was actually at recording week, when I signed my deal with them. They had a bunch of people from around the world come and improv in their studios.

ML: What is the Biggest Band you toured with?

JA: R.E.M.

ML: Do you think this is your passion, and is this what you want to do with the rest of your life?

JA: Well, so far, yea it’s been my passion. I love it. In twenty years I have no idea. I would love to be

ML: How do you go about writing your songs?

JA: I usually start with the music then sing a song. Usually I write the music then fit the words in.

ML: Do you have a favorite Venue that you normally play?

JA: No, I don’t have a favorite Venue but I have towns that I like a lot like Chicago and San Francisco.

ML: Would you credit your fan base to word of mouth or the internet?

JA: Yea, The internet for me has been really helpful.

ML: So do you have an issue with people downloading music?

JA: Not really, I mean as long as they pay for it at some point.

ML: Are you thinking about doing a live album?

JA: Every night I do it, we sell the concert after the show.

ML: How long are your sets normally?

JA: Their about an hour and twenty to thirty minutes. But my set for the CD is cut off at 72 minutes then by the end of the show I have about 45 to sell.

ML: So how did you get to Atlanta?

JA: Well I graduated High school 4 days before they moved down there and then I just went down with them and lived with them for 4 years, and worked in a guitar store.

ML: Do you have any future plans?

JA: I have an EP coming out in December it’s called “The Thieves are Gone” its six songs for six bucks and its all new.

( www.musicleak.com )


Popular Posts